For newer writers we recommend the following:
- Read as much as you can in the way of contemporary Australian short stories in the same genre as you are writing.
- Complete several drafts and revisions of your story.
- Ask fellow writers or editors to review and advise on your story.
- If you have time, put your story away for a week or two and then read it and see if anything needs changing.
- Explore your local writing groups and join a critique group. Queensland Writers Centre is a great place to start.